Saturday, January 21, 2017

Golden Flowers - "the truth's a moving target"

Here's my quilt for the second challenge of Project Quilting Season 8.

We were asked to be inspired by the classic block "Carolina Lily," which has a few different interpretations, but in general looks like this:


I floated around the idea of just making the block as is, but then decided to get a little funky with it:


I basically improv-pieced the background, added a couple borders, and then raw-edge appliqued the flowers and flowerpot. Here are a few close-ups:




And I chose to use the bright orange/pink fabric for the background. It actually has some lilies on it!



I decided to name it "Golden Flowers" in reference to one of the more interesting stories surrounding our new president.

While I have some pretty strong opinions about it all, I won't go into those here. What I will say is that it amazes me how interesting our politics is right now. It's almost like a reality TV show. We are all arguing over what's true and what's not true, but who benefits from this division? Certainly not us.

Something that I heard recently that impacted me was this: "Agree to disagree, but not to disconnect." Continue talking to folks who's views differ from yours. Don't block them out. Don't disrespect them for believing a different version of the truth than you do. The moment we shut each other out is the moment we all lose. 

The last thing I'll add is something that stuck with me ever since I was in nursing school. One of my favorite professors once told our pharmacology class that "the truth's a moving target." You'd think that learning about pharmaceuticals would be somewhat concrete, but like anything, there is room for interpretation. It's difficult to know what's true when there's so much that goes on behind closed doors. I'll always remember that phrase, because things are never as simple as they seem.

Golden Flowers is 23" X 28" and was made here in Central PA.

Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment