Friday, January 6, 2017

Charlotte's Web

I am so grateful for Project Quilting in my life! It gives me the reason I need to actually get a project done from time to time. If you are someone who is interested in quilting in any way, of any skill level, you should check it out!

This is the first challenge for season 8 of Project Quilting, so we were given the task to use the number eight for our inspiration this week. I had a few ideas, but turned to the inter-web to see if I could find anything concrete. That's when I stumbled upon this blog: Life in the Scrapatch. She had previously hosted a spider-web quilt-a-long, and even though it was several years ago I decided to give it a whirl! Big thanks to this nice lady for posting instructions on how to make an amazing spider-web quilt with EIGHT sides that can host a little EIGHT-legged spider!!!

Here are some pictures of my progress:

Instead of piecing this section like the writer of the blog did, I chose to use whole pieces of fabric with a good-size scale to it. It also has tiny spider-web designs in it so I thought it was perfect!

Then I pieced in the curves (which was not altogether easy!)

And put them all together! I forgot to take a picture of the last step in piecing, which is adding sashing to the sides of each web-section. But I did that too :)

After I got it sandwiched and quilted a web pattern on it, I decided to add a little hot-pink spider. Because, really, what is a spider-web quilt without a spider? And in my opinion, a hot-pink spider is the best kind of spider.

As I was quilting, I was listening to a radio program about a local mother who's daughter suffered from medication-resistant seizures. This mother - who happens to be someone I have met - has been fighting very hard to get medical marijuana legalized in our state so that she could help her child. The program mentioned a strain of marijuana known as "Charlotte's Web," which is named after a little girl who's seizures it helped with. I thought that would be a good name for my quilt as well. Right around that time, my six-year-old son came over to look at the spider. He told me it's name should be Charlotte, so that pretty much sealed the deal.

I love it when the name for my project just kind of works itself out :)

Here are pictures of the finished project: 

spiderweb!


Here's Charlotte

I used soft grey corduroy for the backing. You can kind of see the spiderweb-ish detail in the fabric here too!


I'm proud of this one!

My quilt this week measures about 33 inches from point to point, and was made here in snowy Central PA!!!


5 comments:

  1. Your "Eight" is Great! I really enjoyed reading about your design process and love your choice of fabrics. Piecing these curves is not altogether easy and your work is impeccable. The result is stunning.

    Thank you for the kind words and the link to my blog tutorial. It has really made my quilty day to see what a wonderful project you have made from my tutorial. Right now I am getting little sewing or blogging done myself as I am awaiting laser eye surgery later this month. It is my fourth procedure to help correct and prolong slow decline of my vision. I hope to back in my happy sewing space sometime next month.

    I also am enjoying the link to Project Quilting, which is a wonderful source of inspiration. Thanks for sharing ... :-) Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my! I will be thinking of you. I hope you can get back to sewing soon! When you do, you should try to do a Project Quilting challenge. They are really fun! Thanks so much for this great tutorial!!!

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Erin. I have posted a link to your blog on my blog to help spread the Project Quilting word.
      Do you know you are a 'no reply" blogger? If this is not intentional, you can change this in your blogger settings. There are several good tutorials on how to do this, including one by Bonnie Hunter has posted here ... http://quiltville.blogspot.com/2014/08/are-you-no-reply-blogger.html ... that I have used myself in the past.
      Happy Quilty New Year ... :) Pat

      Delete